User talk:Beleg Tâl
images by Potter
Hi. Thanks for you uploads of pictures and texts. But I'm not sure if they are appropriate on this project. As far as I can get some datas on Beatrix Potter, this peson dies 1943, i.e. her works are PD since January 1st 2014. Thus, according to the licence policy of this project, they must be uploaded on the wikisource projetcs unless you can provide some special reasons to upload them here. Thanks, -jkb- (talk) 20:24, 3 June 2017 (UTC)
- comment -- died in 1943 is NOT automatically PD in the USA, therefore wikisource CANNOT automatically accept it.
- ALSO: it is not an "inherent rule" (& not a part of the license policy) that we do not accept material that could be hosted on wikisource.
- beatrix potter is a world-famous children's author, & the content is most welcome here.
- also, also, "please don't bite the newcomers!"
- first: the change to your signature was accidental. i did not realise or intend it. i apologise for that.
- second: you provided bad/false information to this person. i corrected that. you also clearly did not research enough or think enough before commenting.
- third: this is a new user here, & your first "greeting" to them was less than welcoming: "hello; your upload shouldn't be here". even if you were correct about that, and you were not, that was not a good way of handling it. whatever you intended your message to sound like, it was not "asking", it was "telling", & the english was quite poor, & your understanding of the facts was wrong.
- fourth: you do not even contribute to the "english literature" section, clearly you do not know english authors, & your abilities in english are quite limited. in short, you do not know this subject, so why do you feel the need to keep "having opinions" about material in the english language section?
- i do not feel the need to "police" your work in czech, & criticise your actions constantly. i do not feel the need to monitor new users in the czech section, & tell them "how to do their work". if another user behaved that way towards you, i am quite sure that you would take offense; especially if the other user clearly did not know anything about czech literature, & was barely functional in the czech language.
- in short, i am trying to tell you "nicely" that your actions here are uninformed & unhelpful, & at least moderately "unfriendly"; & it is not the first time. please stop doing that.
- @Lx 121: I thought that -jkb-'s greeting was fine. I am an admin at Wikisource, and sometimes we get new users whose contributions are not helpful. When that happens, I try to help them learn to make helpful contributions. Otherwise, they will just get frustrated when more experienced editors delete or fix their contributions. I think -jkb- was trying to help me in this way. I did feel "asked", not "told". They were incorrect about Wikisource's copyright policy, but that happens sometimes. I appreciate their trying to steer me in the right direction. -- Also, thank you for sticking up for me :) Beleg Tâl (talk) 02:19, 4 June 2017 (UTC)
- @-jkb-: Because The Tale of Little Pig Robinson was first published in 1930, it is copyrighted in the USA (95 years pma if published after 1923) and therefore ineligible for hosting on English Wikisource until at least 2026. In fact, it's the only one of her 24 Tales that cannot be hosted there, so I created an account here specifically to complete the collection. (The Tales of Beatrix Potter will be the featured works on enWS in December.) Beleg Tâl (talk) 23:42, 3 June 2017 (UTC)
- Thanks everyone for caring so much about Wikilivres/Bibliowiki, it is a special place. I do want to affirm that Wikilivres/Bibliowiki does not require material to be hosted at other sites, if they can (legally) be. I realize that in the past there was some sense that Wikilivres/Bibliowiki only existed to host material that was in the Canadian Public Domain, but not in the US/EU Public Domains. I can definitely affirm that this is not the case. We are a Special Collection which can and does include items that fall under the previous provision (such as Little Pig Robinson). However, we are not limited to that scope. I personally prefer that items remain on Wikilivres/Bibliowiki once they are legally able to be hosted elsewhere, if indeed they were once accepted. Many editors from Wikisource do see us as filling a needed (though limited) role, and that is fine, but we are not only a temporary storage facility for Wikisource, and are not owned, supported by, or affiliated with the Wikimedia Foundation. --Jeffmcneill (talk) 08:46, 28 June 2017 (UTC)
End of year donation drive
Hi Beleg Tâl, Thank you for your valuable contributions to Biblio.wiki. I'd like to make a request to help fund the monthly server costs. I don't have any record of a money donation from this account (but maybe it was done anonymously or under another name, please let me know). We don't need much, but it costs more than zero dollars/euro/rubles to keep the site running. Paypal of $10 USD (or any other amount) would be very welcome at this time. Thanks for all your help on the site! --Sysadmin (talk) 09:13, 15 December 2017 (UTC)