Please note: this is neither technical issues forum, the main discussion board, or the talk page for the server maintainers.
- Please write below
- And see also my Sysadmin user page for a basic outline of sysadmin projects at Wikilivres.
Archive for this page
just to let you know, i am teetering on the brink of "conflict" with another admin 'jkb'. we have a bit of history. if you skim my talkpage, you can see what the current thing is about. tl;dr - i am trying a very controled & limited "outreach" to problem editors, in the hopes of recruiting them for useful work. jkb wants to swing the ban hammer ultra-hard & worse, is used to' do things that way. well before this started, i had a small discussion over how to handle such users, with some of the other admins, & i thought we reached some agreement on the subject. am posting this, in case said user tries to use the ban-hammer on me; without any sort of community discussion. would appreciate you help, if things go down that way. sorry haven't been "here" much; busy times on my end too. best, Lx 121 (talk) 23:24, 11 July 2017 (UTC)
- @Lx 121: I hope you can fololow me, even if you have talked here abour me without having pinged me. Lx 121 you can be sure that I can qualify your reverts. I am admin since 2004 on different WMF projects, mostly in two or three and sometimes four projects at once, and if you look at German wiki so you will find some thousands blocks of vandals and trolls, so my experience to judge such behaviour could be quite OK. Nobody is perfect, but if you find something you don't agree with so the first idea you you should have is to contact the other admin. If not and if you revert so it is an overuling of an admin decision and this is beeing called wheel war and this is in the most projects a reason to deadmin. You probably do not know it, as your experience as admin is quite marginal, up to now you have been mostly categorizing files on Commons.
- Sorry Jeff but I found the edit here and I answer here as usual. Regards, -jkb- (talk) 14:12, 14 July 2017 (UTC)
- Hi guys, I agree that wheel warring should be avoided. Discussion is the key. If @-jkb-: can provide more of this background info (explanation), I think that will help @Lx 121: better understand the context for -jkb- actions. Longer explanations help guide the next generation of admins, and preserve the history and experience of older admins, in newer admin minds. It's not bad that there is disagreement, but certainly there can be a meeting of minds. --Sysadmin (talk) 05:26, 15 July 2017 (UTC)
1)Yesterday my colleague from cs.wource created his "second" account  as the first (from 2008) has got lost probably (see  where only one is registered). By this opportunity he wanted to register his email address (which is useful when you loose your password), but there is no box to do it, isn't it. I gues it is a email extention and it would be quite useful.
2) Main page in different languages: when may language preference is set to Czech and when I klick on the Bibliowiki loge top left, normally I should get the Czech main page "Hlavní strana" https://biblio.wiki/wiki/Hlavn%C3%AD_strana, but here I get "Hlavní strana" as well but with the URL https://biblio.wiki/wiki/Main_Page; the problem is: when I want to get the talk page the result is https://biblio.wiki/wiki/Talk:Main_Page not https://biblio.wiki/wiki/Talk:Hlavn%C3%AD_strana. I don't know since when we have this problem, it was yesterday I saw.
- Ad. 2. This is because what you realy see is not Hlavní strana, but Main Page with Hlavní strana transluded on it, as you have Chech language swiched on in preferences, see -> the page code... More, see here -> Bibliowiki:Technical_Issues#Localization_--_ONGOING_ISSUES Electron ツ ➧☎ 00:27, 15 July 2017 (UTC)
- Hi @-jkb-:, I agree email is an important feature. I will move it up in priority on the task list. --Sysadmin (talk) 05:36, 15 July 2017 (UTC)
- Hi @-jkb-: and @Electron:, please let me know if I should look to support localization (language preference setting which changes home page, etc.) as it is described Bibliowiki:Technical_Issues#Localization_--_ONGOING_ISSUES. If this is important, I can move it up the priority on the task list. Also, I don't quite understand all the transclusions on the home pages. Is that part of the localization? If not, it seems to make it much harder to edit pages (but I really don't know, please advise on the advantages of the current system so I can better understand how it works/advantages). Thanks for your help! --Sysadmin (talk) 05:36, 15 July 2017 (UTC)
- Yes, it is a part of lokalization. On same wikis it works in this way that you see Main Page (Hlavní strana\Strona główna\etc.) in your language automaticly, without any translusions. But I don't know how it is make, so I used transclusion to simulate it. On my mind, it is better than nothing. Electron ツ ➧☎ 22:59, 17 July 2017 (UTC)
hey; sorry i haven't replied much in recent weeks; things have been busy with one thing & then another, & repeat. >__< have not abandoned the project, but have only had very limited time for it. also, have not forgotten my promise to donate sometime this year, but the way my budget is going, it is likely to be December. however, i did have a project for a small but useful web page (separate project), that might generate some ad revenues; looking for someone to partner on it with, & would be willing to donate those to BW. let me know if you're interested? & how are things going on your end of the universe? :) best -- Lx 121 (talk) 03:49, 13 October 2017 (UTC)
- Hi Lx 121, busy over here. I'm starting up a new project dealing with Montessori education most like (in talks next week), and expecting a second son in December (#1 son turns 2 years old tomorrow). Those will keep me busy along with all the other things going on. You are welcome to email me more project information, which I will of course keep confidential, if you would like, and I can give you a more definitive answer on availability. My professional preference is to not rely on advertising as a revenue stream, at least not primarily. Keep in touch. Sincerely, --Sysadmin (talk) 03:25, 27 October 2017 (UTC)
- I beg You to remove from the site old version (which contains a number of significant mistakes) a pdf of my manuscript «К критике установки Всеединства».pdf. Thank You in advance for your help. Sincerely, Salychow (talk) 12:50, 26 October 2017 (UTC) 12:49, 26 October 2017 (UTC)
- Would you prefer *El Verdugo* or *Anonymous*? --Sysadmin (talk) 07:14, 29 December 2017 (UTC)
Hi, I find some wikilivres missing files in the older wikilivres dump: https://archive.org/download/wiki-wikilivres_ca_20140110 and transfer some of them on bibliowiki. But some files are two large (they exceded 16 MB limit) to be uploaded by me. I mean:
- File:Wharton - Hudson River Bracketed.djvu ca 30 MB
- File:Wolfe - Look Homeward, Angel.djvu ca 28 MB
- File:Wolfe - Of Time and the River.djvu ca 44 MB
- File:Wolfe - The Web and the Rock.djvu ca 39 MB
- File:Wolfe - You Can't Go Home Again.djvu ca 28 MB
- File:Woolf - The Years.djvu ca 34 MB
- My guess is that these documents are available as epub somewhere, such as . The uploading of djvu is really an outdated approach, and definitely not preferred. Not only are the files huge, mediawiki stupidly creates a thumbnail for each page, which is a big burden in storage and also processing. Also, djvu is only good when one does not have a corrected text version, and after one does have a corrected text version, it is useless. --Sysadmin (talk) 15:26, 12 January 2018 (UTC)
- I definitely did not recommend pdf, but rather epub. Pdf is a page-based format, along with djvu, but epub is a document-based format. I realize that djvu is widely used on Wikisource and that Wikisourceans are here expecting to use the tools they are used to. Sadly, this isn't Wikisource in terms of resources and support. --Sysadmin (talk) 17:14, 17 January 2018 (UTC)
- One of the main principles of Wikimedia project is "there must be a proof". In Wikisource the proof is in the form of a photo (jpg, djvu, pdf) of original book or document. This way everyone can check, if text is identical to the document, and not just trust other people who say it is. Actually this is different from the majority of internet sites. I consider this feature beneficial, but if we lack space, of course, we have to sacrifice something. — VadimVMog (talk) 07:56, 13 January 2018 (UTC)
- It would be nice if we had the resources for that, but we don't. If people are in doubt about accuracy, they'll have to dig up a djvu or pdf scan that may be hosted elsewhere. I don't see this as a huge issue (that is, people and policy can still follow this Wikimedia principle, it's just that storage of the proof must lie elsewhere. --Sysadmin (talk) 17:14, 17 January 2018 (UTC)
- Never mind for now. I plan to request temporary adminship in January 2019 to move 1923 works back to Wikisource.--Jusjih (talk) 01:24, 21 February 2018 (UTC)
- Hi, While I am not very active here, I would have appreciate a prior warning about removing my rights. Thanks, Yann (talk) 12:00, 9 June 2018 (UTC)
The searchindex table of the database has crashed again
Could you help? See: Bibliowiki:Technical_Issues#Database errors while searching. Regards Electron ツ ➧☎ 00:36, 11 March 2018 (UTC)
- Fixed. This is as mentioned before an issue with the MySQL database, which requires the table to repaired using the SQL repair command. Done. --Sysadmin (talk) 03:08, 16 March 2018 (UTC)
A kitten for you!
Hi, I am glad the site is working again. Many thanks to you for this! Could please give me back the admin right? I am Yann the creator of the project. I would like to continue restoring Alentours et inédits. And would it be possible to get my old contributions back to my account? Best regards, Yann (talk) 16:27, 22 December 2018 (UTC)